Patients are prescribed to use Dexamethasone in inflammatory and allergic diseases, nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapy means, shock and cerebral edema (injections). The preparation is sold in the forms of tablets and injections. The main component is Dexamethasone.
Before using Dexamethasone, consult with the specialist or a provider to be sure that the dosage suits you.
Dexamethasone dose is prescribed individually. It depends on the disease and the patient. The preparation is taken inside (during or after meals) once, a small dose – early in the morning or reception 2-3 a day (large dose): 2-3 mg up to 4-6 mg a day. After achieving effect the dose is gradually reduced. Then a patient takes supporting dose – 0.5-1 mg per day;
A patient should stop the treatment gradually (at the end it is prescribed several to take corticotropin injections).
Children – 0.25 to 25 mg a day in the reception 3-4 depending on age.
Before you use Dexamethasone, do learn about all the precautions the medicine has.
Be cautious if you have nonspecific ulcerative colitis. In the case of tuberculosis, intercurrent infections, septic conditions requires pre-and post-simultaneous antibacterial therapy is required.
You must consider strengthening actions in hypothyroidism, and cirrhosis of the liver, psychotic symptoms and emotional lability in their high initial level, masking symptoms of infections, relative adrenal insufficiency after taking Dexamethasone (especially in case of long use).
Breast-feeding is recommended to be stop. In long-term course doctors should watch the dynamics of growth and development of children, systematically conduct ophthalmologic examination, monitor the condition of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal system, the level of glucose in the blood. Stop therapy only gradually.
Never use Dexamethasone if you haven’t read all the contraindications. Ask a professional person for a consultation when you are going to begin Dexamethasone therapy.
For short-term use the only contraindication is patints’ hypersensitivity.
Take the preparation with caution if:
- parasitic and infectious diseases of fungal, viral, or bacterial origin – herpes zoster, herpes simplex,chickenpox, measles; systemic mycosis. Taking in severe infections is permissible only with the specific therapy.
- Pre – and post-vaccination period (eight weeks before and two weeks after vaccination), lymphadenitis after BCG. Immunodeficiency conditions ( AIDS or HIV infection).
- Gastrointestinal disease – stomach ulcer and duodenal ulcer, gastritis, esophagitis, acute or latent peptic ulcer, recently created anastomosis bowel, ulcerative colitis with the threat of the perforations.
- Endocrine diseases – diabetes mellitus (including infringement of tolerance to carbohydrates), hypothyroidism, thyrotoxicosis.
- Severe chronic renal and/or liver failure.
- Myocardial infarction (patients with acute and subacute myocardial infarction can get necrosis, slow formation of scar tissue and the consequent rupture of the heart muscle), asthma heart failure, arterial hypertension, hyperlipidemia.
- Hypoalbuminemia and conditions predisposing to its emergence.
- Systemic osteoporosis, and myasthenia gravis, acute psychosis, obesity , polio.
If want to avoid serious problems, use Dexamethasone only if it has been approved by your health care provider.
Side effects include: the loss of potassium and calcium, swelling, haemorrhagic pancreatitis, atony of the digestive tract, increased appetite, nausea and vomiting, hepatomegaly, muscle weakness, miopatia, osteoporosis, pathologic fractures, tendon ruptures, arrhythmia, bradycardia, increased blood pressure, congestive heart failure, heart and liver diseases, syndrome Itsenko – Kushing, negative nitrogen balance, dysmenorrhea, stunted growth of children, hirsutism, reduced immunity, the suppression of the regenerative and reparative processes, dizziness, headaches, mood disorders, psychosis, increased blood pressure, convulsions, thinning and enthusiasm skin, petechiae, striae, erythema and change in pigmentation person increased sweating, thrombosis and embolism, syndrome (malaise, headaches, pain in the abdomen, joints and muscles), depression; allergic reaction (itching of the skin, rash).