Citalopram is a medication from the group of SSRIs, that are used for the treating of depression.
This condition is characterized by low mood and self-esteem. People lose interest to life and activities they usually enjoy. There are many kinds of depression; each of them affects a patient’s relations within his/her family, at work, college, etc. Depression is often accompanied by eating and sleeping problems, it adversely affects the victim’s health and sometimes threatens a person’s life. According to statistics, about 60% of people who commit suicide suffered from any kind of depression.
In order to help a patient cope with depression a doctor may advice to use Citalopram – an antidepressant that affects chemicals in the brain and puts them back in balance.
Citalopram: Contraindications and precautions
There are certain restrictions that concern using Citalopram. The drug is contraindicated in patients with an allergy to citalopram. Do not use this treatment option if you are taking pimozide, MAO inhibitors or receiving methylene blue injection.
Before you use Citalopram, make sure you can safely start the treatment in case you have:
- a history of drug abuse,
- any blood clotting/bleeding disorder,
- bipolar disorder,
- an electrolyte imbalance,
- kidney disease,
- any problems associated with heart functioning,
- a history of Long QT syndrome,
- problems with liver.
Patients who have any of the conditions mentioned above may need a dosage adjustment or may be recommended to choose another treatment option.
Attention! If you are taking the drug for the first time, you may have thoughts about suicide. If this happens, get in contact with your doctor asap.
Citalopram is in FDA pregnancy category C. Using in pregnancy is not recommended due to the risk of development of lung problems in fetus. In case you get pregnant during the treatment, discuss your further actions with a medical professional.
- Follow the instructions (indicated on the label or the ones you received from a medical specialist).
- Use a special device for measuring a dose of liquid Citalopram.
- Never violate dosage directions. In case of overdose seek for medical attention immediately.
- Consult your healthcare professional if your symptoms don’t change in 4 weeks after you started the treatment.
- Never quit the treatment suddenly – this may make your symptoms become worse.
Bare in mind that the medication may impair your reactions or thinking. Avoid alcohol when you are on the treatment to avoid unwanted side effects.
Citalopram: Side effects
In case you have an allergic reaction to the med, appeal to medics immediately, do the same if you are experiencing any of severe side effects:
- sweating, loss of coordination, hallucinations, overactive reflexes, uneven heartbeats, rigid muscles,
- extreme mood swings, feeling more depressed, agitated, impulsive, aggressive, irritable, hyperactive, etc.
- thoughts about suicide,
- severe dizziness,
- tremors, chest pain, pounding heartbeats, fainting,
- speech problems, shallow breathing.
Less serious side effects that usually go away soon and do not require medical help include:
- weight changes,
- stuffy nose,
- tired feeling,
- upset stomach,
- cold symptoms,
- dry mouth,
- changes in sexual life like decreased sex drive,
- mild diarrhea,
Before you will use Citalopram you should know about potentially unsafe interactions of this medicine. The drug may badly interact with a lot of medications and substances:
- HIV/AIDS drugs,
- droperidol, dolasetron and other meds for nausea and vomiting,
- methadone, fentanyl, tramadol and other pain medications,
- stomach acid reducers,
- disopyramide, sotalol, amlodarone, procainamide, dofetilide and other heart rhythm medicaments,
- anti-malaria drugs,
- trimipraminem, imipramine, doxepin, protriptyline and other antidepressants,
- St. John’s wort,
Check at your doctor or pharmacist whether it is safe to use antidepressant Citalopram if you are using any other health products at the same time (herbal teas, supplements, vitamins, diet pills, etc.). Store the drug properly to save its treating qualities.
Still before you will use Citalopram we insist on your reading the information arranged below.